A neighbor recently introduced me to 66 proof Fireball cinnamon whisky. Turns out the stuff contains propylene glycol, an ingredient used in anti-freeze and other industrial products. Well, as I told the twenty-something counterman at the liquor store, "Whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger."
I rather doubt the kid could name the source of the line, and I didn't bother to offer enlightenment into Nietzsche's dark mind. He replied, "I like your attitude."
So we parted in generation-spanning solidarity, me with my whisky, cigars, and incense, but no peppermints.
Whisky is like socializing. A little is good from time to time, or at least not bad. But more is not better.
UPDATE (3/5): Bill H. writes,
Just some clarification, if you don't mind: propylene glycol is relatively nontoxic, and is an actual approved food additive.Its chemical cousin ethylene glycol is the quite poisonous one that is used in some antifreeze.Keep up the good work, though.